Friday, August 05, 2005

the wedding

My oldest child Jake was married on July 23rd. Jake, aged 27, is a stained glass artist actually making a living practicing his art in Minneapolis MN. He married Kori whom he has known since high school. They never went to school together but both worked at Subway when they were Seniors. I believe that Jake has loved Kori since shortly after he met her. When Jake met Kori. however, she had a boyfriend. They remained friends until about a year ago when Kori fell in love with Jake. So the story goes. During the vows Jake had all he could do not to bawl. He managed with just a few tears. Knowing Jake as I do, I am sure at that moment he was thinking about how fortunate he was to be marrying her. According to her parents the feeling is mutual.

I danced with my son during a special dance in our honor. I feel very fortunate that he is my son and that I had the privilege of parenting him. Not that there were never any uncomfortable moments, but they were few and I have a very special bond with him. Experiencing a positive birth together does make a different kind of bond. I have it with both my 2 birth children. It doesn't mean I love my birth children more it just means it is easier. I wish I could have given birth to all of my children for them and for me. Having that unbroken bond of mother and child cannot be replaced. Try as we might to heal our adopted children we can never give them that. Our children who have that will always have a leg up on all of life. Sometimes that bond of birth is broken for some reason that cannot be helped (such as illness of the mother or child right after or during birth) and even birth children can suffer that broken bond.

The wedding was beautiful and well-planned. I did almost nothing except appear with 10 children, my husband and myself clean and well-dressed. The kids were on their best behavior. I was on my best behavior. We are capable of having very good behavior in public and save most of the other garbage for home. The kids have learned that any public appearance can and will quickly end if they behave otherwise. Maybe more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home