Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Fleas, Fleas the wonderful tenacious fleas!

I still have a flea infestation. Sorry to those of you who want to hear about the wedding. I still have a flea infestation.

Thanks to Claudia(who fronted me the money until the we have a paycheck), as soon as I can get the exterminator out here I can debug the house. I have tried all the natural and un-natural methods of flea control that are available over the counter. I am of the organic, natural is better vent, do not want to pollute the environment or us kick. So the exterminator is a really big deal. There are so many fleas in this house that 3 cat's and 1 dog are not enough to suck off of. My children, those same mouthy ones, are being eaten alive. Every day I hear about how many bites they have. As in all of life things are not fair. The ones who are the most mouthy and annoying are not being bitten nearly as much. My children who rarely are disrespectful are being bitten the most.

I now know more about the life cycle of a flea than I ever wanted to know. We probably already had this infestation in our house when we moved in. We moved here last year after the hot and humid weather was over. This year the hot and humid weather started earlier and has been unrelenting. Fleas, you guessed it, thrive in very hot, very humid weather. They can also live in the pupae stage for 8 years without a host. They are also coaxed out of this state of limbo by vibrations in their enviroment (the pitter-patter of 16 or more little feet) and by the body heat of a mammal laying on the floor (the bodies attached to those same feet are laying on the floor in front of movies on these very hot days). Sooooo you can see why a very large number of fleas in the pupae stage have decided to emerge. Maybe all of them. Which means that at the rate of one egg per hour for an adult female, the rate of flea reproduction is staggering.

Again woe woe is me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home